Your Source For Everything Pets!

21 everyday household items that are poisonous to pets

vet_hero
As pet owners, we’re well aware that our furry friends are naturally curious and often feel compelled to sniff, chew and even eat things they find lying on the ground, whether indoors or outside. Unfortunately, many everyday items that we humans might not think twice about can be hazardous to pets.Below are 21 common items often found in or around the house — from the kitchen and bathroom to the garage and backyard — that can be poisonous to your furry pals if ingested.

Toxic food for pets

  1. Chocolate
  2. Avocados
  3. Bread dough
  4. Grapes & raisins
  5. Artificial sweeteners
  6. Onions

Plants poisonous to pets

  1. Lilies
  2. Poinsettias
  3. Sago palms
  4. Daffodils

Chemicals

  1. Insecticides
  2. Air fresheners
  3. Cleaning products like laundry detergent & bleach
  4. Fertilizer
  5. Antifreeze

Medications

  1. Over-the-counter pain medications
  2. Prescription drugs for humans (and pets, too)

Other household items

  1. Batteries
  2. Small toys
  3. Fabric softener sheets
  4. Glue

Preventive tips for pet owners

You can take steps to keep your pets’ indoor and outdoor environment safe by limiting exposure to these items. Another tip: Look at objects from your pet’s height and line of sight. Then make it a habit to keep food, medications, plants and chemicals securely stored and out of your pets’ reach. These additional steps can help:

  • Secure trash cans inside and outside to keep out of pets’ reach
  • Close toilet lids
  • Place childproof latches on cabinets
  • Keep small and sharp objects out of pets’ reach
  • Keep houseplants out of reach
  • Keep food out of reach and/or stored in containers
  • Never leave medications uncapped or unsealed, especially when they’re in your purse or on a table
  • Clean up any chemical spills in your garage or yard quickly
  • Keep lawn, garden and automobile chemicals closed and stored on a high shelf
  • Provide your pet with appropriate chew toys and treats to help prevent them from chewing on other objects

Taking preventive steps like those above and being proactive is key to keeping pets healthy and happy. Contact your veterinarian immediately if you think your pet may have consumed a poisonous substance. It’s a good idea to have your veterinarian’s contact information handy, such as in your phone or on your refrigerator.

0 Comments

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*