These days everyone includes their pet’s for holiday gifts. Here are some ideas you may not have thought of.
1. GPS Pet Tracker – Especially for your dog that roams and gets lost. This will allow you to find your dog if he wonders away. Great peace of mind.
2. Canine obedience/Canine agility lessons – Bond with your dog and fun for the whole family.
3. Condroprotectants – For any arthritic animal. We like Dasuquin the best. These have the effect of lubricating the joints. They are safe and can be given as a once a day supplement.
4. Canine agility equipment – You can get quite extensive with this idea. But it serves as exercise for both the dog and the owner or child.
5. Help them up Harness – This one is for the older, large and not so mobile dog. It effectively makes a suitcase of your dog to help them up stairs or on slippery surfaces.
6. Phat Cat toy – This is for overweight cats. It is a hollow cylinder that screws apart. The owner fills the inside with dry cat food and closes it. There are small holes on the outside wall. In order for the cat to get food and eat he/she needs to bat the cylinder to force food out. Great exercise. Simulates hunting behavior.
7. Cat laser light – Have fun watching your feline try to catch the light all from the comfort of your lounge chair.
8. Feline water fountain – Lots of cats prefer to drink moving water. This encourages them to drink and has health benefits especially for those cats prone to bladder issues.
9. Home made pet treats – Get some food items you know your pet will love: liver, meat, chicken, etc. Cut it up in small pieces and then add water and put into a blender to make a slurry. Put this slurry into an ice tray and freeze. Give your dog or cat one modified ice cube at a time. They will love it!
Dr. David Roy Hensen, DVM, DABVP has been a Veterinarian since 1983. He opened Paumanok Veterinary Hospital in 1992 and is board certified in the American Board of Veterinary Specialists, canine and feline.